Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Funny Story about The RR and the NAACP... The RR

I was in college at UNCC from 1976 - 1980. I was dating a young lady around 1977 named Cecilia Smith. I had also struck up a friendship with a reserve center (later to become the starting center) on the UNCC Basketball Team, named George Devone. George was a big man. I believe he was about 6'9" and weighed around 230. George was also a big kid, a playful teddy bear kind of guy that wouldn't hurt a flea. George was also black.

One day I was sitting in Cecilia's dorm room with her and we were talking. Now Cecilia was as sweet as the week is long, a pretty, tall brunette with olive skin and long hair. She was very friendly and always smiling. On this particular day while sitting in her room with the door open, George walked by. We asked George to come in. We talked about school and who he was visiting on the girls floor and then I asked him about basketball and practice, and after George answered, Cecilia asked George, with all the innocence she possessed, "George, what do you think your chances are to get in the NAACP Tournament this year?"

 First the awkward silence and then George and I looked at each other and busted out laughing as Cecilia turned pale with the realization she meant to say the NCAA Tournament.

Life was simpler then....

1 comment:

The Rowdy Republican said...

After posting this I went on facebook to see if I could locate George. I found a George Devone, so I inquired via facebook if he was the same Geoge who played basketball for UNCC. I'll let you know if I hear back from him.